Sunday, October 26, 2014

Herbed Ricotta Dip with Spring Vegetables

Who can resist a good dip.  Especially on football game day.  Even more especially on an Oklahoma State Homecoming Football game day!  


This dip requires a high quality ricotta.  Don't buy the stuff in the tub at the grocery store.  Find a good cheese store in your area to get your ricotta from.  In the DFW area we are fortunate to have the Mozzarella Company.  You can visit this cheese factory and watch the women making cheese.  Luckily, you can also purchase their cheese in certain stores in the DFW area.



Here are the herbs that will lend their flavor to the dip.  Notice that they are in their little herb pods.  These have been in the refrigerator for over a week now.  They stay so much more fresh for a longer period of time than if I simply plop them in a vase like this....

 
 This cilantro was purchased on the same day as the 3 herbs shown above.  I've read some negative reviews about the herb pods, but they work great for me. 



Mix all of the ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix thoroughly.  Season with the salt and pepper.

Cover and let sit in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours to allow the herbal flavors to meld.  Serve up with your favorite dipping vegetables; carrots, celery, cherry tomatoes, radishes, etc.

Okay, here's my take on this dip....
I basically liked.  Since we grazed on it all afternoon it was especially nice because I felt I was eating a little healthier compared to most other dips and snacking foods.

I think it would be best if served with salted pita chips.  The dip is so bland (and I don't mean that in a negative way).  Bland is not always bad.  But when you have bland vegetables dipping into a bland dip you get bland all the way around.  I think this dip would be much better served with something that had a little more zing than a piece of celery.  My vote is pita chips.


Herbed Ricotta Dip with Spring Vegetables
Serves 4 to 6
Adapted from Diana Henry's recipe


Ingredients:
1 pound absolute best-quality ricotta (this will make or break your recipe - find a good quality ricotta).
1 garlic clove, peeled and grated (I grated)
1 Tbsp. snipped fresh chives
2 Tbsp. minced fresh parsley
1 Tbsp. minced fresh mint
1 lemon, both the grated zest and a good squeeze of half of the lemon
3 Tbsp. olive oil
Salt & pepper to taste

Blend well all of the ingredients together.  Taste and adjust the seasonings accordingly.  Cover and refrigerate for a couple of hours (but no more) to allow the flavors to meld. 

I'm sharing this recipe at I Heart Cooking Clubs

11 comments:

  1. Your ricotta dip looks really yummy, I can imagine serving it with all kinds of food!
    I like your herb pods! Have never seen one before, will keep a lookout for them! It is a great way of keeping fresh herbs in the fridge! I've always used a long jar and keep the herbs covered in plastic bag (over the jar), so that the herbs stalks do not bend and droop so much. Using the herb pods is a super cool idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the herb pods. You should be able to find them on Amazon. My daughters gave me mine and they have been well used!

      Delete
  2. Gosh, I'm really surprised to hear you say this dip is bland. With all those herbs, the garlic and lemon zest, I would expect it to be anything but. I'm pretty sure that I would absolutely love this, and with a plate full of fresh vegetables, this would be my idea of heaven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely make this again and try a little more garlic and lemon zest. All in all it was a good dip.

      Delete
  3. I think this looks like a beautiful and inviting dip! Perfect for a ladies gathering for sure. I'm really jealous of your fresh ricotta. We have a Murray's cheese shop in our local grocery but I'm still unable to get a real good fresh ricotta. It's easy enough to make at home though so that'd do in a pinch. I'm thinking a little extra garlic in the dip would help provide that boost of flavor needed, but then again extra garlic is my go to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, making my own ricotta at home is on my kitchen bucket list. I've heard it is very easy.

      Delete
  4. This is the perfect dish to smell the spring, I wish it has arrived and I could grab the herbs just out of the garden and not from the window sill

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you ... there's nothing like a good dip to go with watching the ball game on the TV ... in our case, the World Series and the Sunday New England Patriots football game ... love all the herbiness in this dip! I'd love it with pita chips and slices of cucumber and carrots! Great choice for the potluck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pita chips definitely sound like the right thing! Or bagel chips.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a very inviting looking platter....and the dip sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I confess I sometimes just eat veggies, crackers and a good dip or hummus for my lunch or dinner. ;-) This one looks perfect for noshing on at a party or enjoying as my meal--I love all of the fresh herbs.

    ReplyDelete