Thursday, October 30, 2014

Applesauce from Scratch

A friend from church has an apple tree at her place in New Mexico and she brought a bunch to Sunday school to share.   I've been wanting to make my own applesauce for some time and this seemed to be a good batch to make it with.  They were tart, yet sweet enough.



I selected the easiest recipe I could find and it just so happened to be in this book by one of my favorite food authors, Ruth Reichl.

After coring, peeling and slicing the apples cover them with water.  Throw a couple sticks of cinnamon in the pot and add a good squeeze of lemon.

Let them simmer until the apples are very tender.



Remove the cinnamon sticks.  With a slotted spoon, transfer the apples to the bowl of the food processor (don't throw away the liquid!).  If you think the consistency is too thick you can add a little of the water.

NOTE:  Use the pulse option and check often so that you don't process it too much.




That's it!  Jar it up and stick it in the refrigerator.

That's all there is to it!  You can use as little or as many apples as you want with enough water to cover them.



You can add a little cinnamon if you like but mine was perfectly flavored with a hint of cinnamon from the sticks.  I also did not add any sugar.  It simply didn't need it but I suppose you could add some of you wanted.

I didn't need to add any of the cooking water either.





But it made a wonder hot, sipping drink (probably be great with a splash of Maker's Mark in it).


No comments:

Post a Comment