Saturday, September 15, 2012

Sangria Mexicana ~ Red-Wine Cooler with Fresh Lime

September 16 is Mexico Independence Day.  It's similar to our July 4th.  In honor of our friends' to the South special day I made Mexican Sangria.  The recipe is from Rick Bayless' Season 6 of Mexico - One Plate at a Time.


A refreshing  and sparkling drink, it's a little different from the Sangria I'm accustomed to where lemons, limes and oranges are used.  This recipe focuses on only the lovely lime.



 Fresh lime juice, sugar, dry red wine and sparkling water are all you need.


Sangria Mexicana
From Season 6 of Rick Bayless' Mexico - One Plate at a Time
Serves 6

Ingredients:
2/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (4 to 5 wines)
2/3 cup sugar
3 cups dry, fruity red wine (I used a Pinot Noir); you can also use Beaujolais or Zinfandel
1 cup sparkling water + 1/4 cup to use for the lime syrup
4 to 6 wheels of lime, with a cut made on one side, for garnish

Mise en Place:
  • chill wine
  • juice limes
  • measure out sugar
  • measure out sparkling water, divided
Method:
In a small bowl, mix the sugar, 1/4 cup of the sparkling water and the lime juice.  Stir until sugar is completely dissolved.

Just before serving pour the wine into a pitcher and stir in the sparkling water and lime syrup.  Serve over ice in tall glasses, each garnished with a wheel of lime slipped onto the rim.

I'm sharing this post at I Heart Cooking Clubs.  Hop on over and see how everyone else is celebrating!


7 comments:

  1. I want this right now! Great way to celebrate this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a good sangria--so refreshing. I have this recipe tagged to make. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum! I would certainly welcome a glass right now! Perfect for any celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, now this recipe sings CELEBRATION! I'd love a nice glass of this about now. How bad do you think it would be if I went ahead and made this for the lunchbox theme...ha ha;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting! I haven't had sangria with just lime before. Sounds really refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's fanstastic, i'll take note and try this on this weekend, Cant wait to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was surfing net and fortunately came across this site and found very interesting stuff here. Its really fun to read. I enjoyed a lot. Thanks for sharing this wonderful information. Best Wine Coolers 2018

    ReplyDelete