Saturday, September 8, 2012

Fresh Melon Cooler

 
With Summer winding down the watermelons will soon disappear in the markets. I bought one today knowing it is probably the last I'll buy for the season.  I also took the opportunity to use the watermelon for my I Heart Cooking Clubs' weekly assignment which is Esta Roja!  Watermelon is a shade of red, no?



You can make this with other melons such as cantaloupe and honeydew.  The cool green of a honeydew would make a pretty cooler.

You can also use this cooler as a base for a simple cocktail by adding vodka or champagne or simply making it a sparking, non-alcoholic spritzer by adding Perrier.


Place all of your ingredients in a blender and push the button.  Simple as that.  Adjust for your desired texture and taste by adding extra sugar, water or lime juice.  My watermelon was so nice and sweet it didn't need any added sugar.  I also used the juice from the watermelon as part of my water.


Let your cooler chill in the refrigerator before serving.  The colder the better!!


Fresh Melon Cooler
Makes about 1 quart
Recipe from Season 3 of Rick Bayless' Mexico - One Plate at a Time

Ingredients:
4 cups (packed) fresh melon (watermelon, cantaloupe, or honeydew)
1/2 cup water; plus more if necessary
1/4 cup sugar; plus more if desired
About 2 Tbsp lime juice; plus more if desired

Mise en place:
  • peel, seed and roughly chop up melon
  • measure out water
  • measure out sugar
  • juice lime
Method:
Scoop the fruit into a blender, then add the water, sugar and lime juice.  Blend until smooth.  Add more water, if necessary, to achieve a light easy-to-drink consistency.  Taste and season with more sugar and lime if you think necessary.

You can also add extra flavorings (mint to honeydew, orange juice to cantaloupe, and blended raspberries to watermelon) if you like.


I am sharing this recipe at IHHC.

4 comments:

  1. The color of this cooler is really beautiful, Jamie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was pretty as well, and my husband has found his new favorite fruit drink!!

      Delete
  2. Lovely! I made this a couple of weeks ago, and we totally love it!
    Beautiful red!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glorious! I love how refreshing and simple it is. Sniff. I will miss watermelons.

    ReplyDelete