Friday, September 21, 2012

Mexican-Style Granola

We're on our next to last week cooking up recipes by Rick Bayless over at I Heart Cooking Clubs.  With this week being "What's in your lunchbox?" week, I selected a granola recipe of Rick's that would be perfect for a kid's school snack as well as easy to take to the office to munch on during the day (a word of caution...this has peanuts in it if your child has an allergy).

My big 'child', a.k.a. Lovey, doesn't have to worry about that and he has really taken to this snack.  He has been enjoying it with his cappuccino in the morning.



We have our nuts:  blanched almonds, raw peanuts, pumpkin seeds, and raw cashews.  I couldn't find whole almonds that were blanched, nor could I find raw peanuts without the brown papery skins on them.  No worries.  I can improvise without stressing; hey, it's granola.



We have our grains:  old-fashioned rolled oats and amaranth.  The amaranth called for in the recipe was puffed amaranth.  Not only did I have to educate myself on what amaranth is I also could not, for the life of me, find it puffed.  I found numerous boxes of amaranth flakes but no puffed.  Once again, no worries, it's still granola.

According to my favorite online food dictionary, amaranth was once considered a weed but is now acknowledged as a nourishing high-protein food.  The seeds are used as cereal (puffed or flaked) or ground into flour.



Finally, we have our coating and binding agents:  vegetable oil and honey


Gently combine the nuts and grains, right on your baking sheet.  Make sure your baking sheet has sides.  This mixture will be baked for a short time before adding your coating.


Thoroughly combine the oil and honey and pour over the warm granola mixture.



Stir to coat all of your ingredients.


Bake it up


Pack it up
Eat it up


Mexican-Style Granola
Makes about 3 cups
Recipe adapted from Rick Bayless'  Mexico - One Plate at a Time

Ingredients:
1 - 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/4 cup peanuts (the kind with the reddish skin removed), preferably raw
1/4 cup blanched almonds
1/4 cup hulled pumpkin seeds, preferably not toasted
1/2 cup puffed amaranth or amaranth flakes
1/4 cup cashews, preferably not toasted
3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1/4 cup honey

Method:
Heat the oven to 300 ° F.  On a baking sheet with sides, combine the oats, peanuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds, amaranth and cashews.  Bake for 10 minutes.

In a small bowl, combine the oil and honey, stirring to thoroughly combine.  Drizzle over the warm mixture, then stir until everything is evenly coated.  Return to the oven and bake, stirring every few minutes, until the mixture is a rich golden brown and the nuts smell toasty - about 20 minutes.  Cool completely then store in a tightly closed container.

I'm sharing this post at IHCC

6 comments:

  1. Lovely! We love granola too - especially with yogurt. I love the flakes in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked up and saw that Natashya said exactly what I was going to about granola and yogurt! LOL! I spent a week on an ocean liner touring Alaska, and guess what my breakfast was?? LOL! Your granola looks simply marvelous!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to snack on this granola!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your granola is looking really good! I don't mind snacking on this anytime of the day! Great idea for a lunch box!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now this looks like granola I would like to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Homemade granola is one of my favorite snacks to nibble on. I love everything in this one. ;-)

    ReplyDelete