Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Roasted Fingerling Potatoes

I purchased a bag of fingerling potatoes at the market this week so I ferreted through the "Vegetables" folder the other day to find a recipe to try.  I found "Roasted Potatoes" from the May 1995 issue of Cooking Light Magazine.

It produced a great tasting side dish and one that I'll use again.  The bread crumb coating was killer and I'm going to use what I had left over on a fish fillet tonight.

The recipe was easy and fast to throw together.

I don't keep white bread around the house and didn't really want to buy a whole loaf to make such a small amount of breadcrumbs.  I was very surprised to find this...

Isn't this the cutest little loaf?  I tore it up in my food processor and it made just the right amount of crumbs.

Here are the main ingredients for this dish

You'll need little potatoes (the recipe calls for small red potatoes), fresh bread crumbs, Romano cheese, garlic, parsley, oregano, paprika, olive oil and salt and pepper.

After scrubbing your potatoes and tossing them with the olive oil, you toss them around in the breadcrumb mixture. 

Place them in a baking dish that's been coated with cooking spray and stick them in a 400°F oven and let them bake for about 50 minutes or until tender.  That's all there is to it!

I made these as an accompaniment to a wonderful Tuscan chicken recipe that I'll share later.

Roasted Potatoes
Yields 8 servings

Ingredients:
3/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs
1/4 cup (1 ounce) finely grated fresh Romano cheese
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/8 tsp. paprika
1 garlic clove, minced
1 Tbsp. olive oil
24 small red potatoes (about 3 pounds)
Vegetable cooking spray

Mise en Place:
  • scrub potatoes
  • process bread for breadcrumbs
  • grate Romano cheese
  • chop parsley
  • measure out herbs & seasonings
  • mince garlic
  • spray baking dish with cooking spray
Method:

Preheat oven to 400°F.  Combine the first 8 ingredients in a medium bowl; set aside.  Combine oil and potatoes in a large zip-top plastic bag; seal bag, and shake to coat potatoes with oil.  Toss potatoes in breadcrumb mixture.  Place potatoes in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.  Bake at 400°F for 50 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment