Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Honey-Mustard Dressing

This is Lovey's favorite salad dressing.



Ingredients are simple: Dijon mustard, vinegar, honey, salt, and vegetable oil.


 
The first time I made a batch I did not have enough regular Dijon mustard on hand, but I did have a jar of whole grain Dijon; so I used that instead. I have used combinations of whole grain, a regular Dijon as well as a Sierra Nevada Stout Stoneground.  You can also combine varieties.  The best batch I ever made was with half whole grain and half of the Sierra Nevada Stout Stoneground.

The honey you use will make your dressing unique each time.


Since my blender is in storage, our Magic Bullet serves as the perfect substitute to make this recipe. When I use the whole grain mustard I blend the mustard and vinegar together first to break up some of the mustard seeds.  If you do use the whole grain you will always have a bit of texture. After that I add the rest of the ingredients.

If you use a blender you can blend all of the ingredients except the oil until smooth and add the oil lastly in a slow, thin stream through the feed tube until emulsified.


Do a little taste testing once blended and add more honey if you desire a little more sweetness.

 
 
I store mine in a Ball jar.  It will keep for several days in the refrigerator.
 
Serve over crisp greens or use as a dip for crudites.

 





Honey-Mustard Dressing
Makes approximately 1 cup

Ingredients:
1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp. Dijon Mustard
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup honey
1-1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil

Method:
In the container of a blender combine all ingredients except the oil and blend for 30 seconds.  Slowly add the oil in a fine stream through the feeder tube/opening and blend until emulsified. Store in a tightly covered jar in the refrigerator.  Will keep for several days.


No comments:

Post a Comment