Monday, March 13, 2017

Roasted Garlic 101

I use garlic more than any other ingredient in my kitchen.  I use it in sauces, soups, dressings, marinades and I sneak it in any dish I can; except ice cream.  I've never used it in ice cream. I don't believe I'll ever use it in ice cream.

Roasting it is so easy and you can use it in so many things.  I use it in turkey burgers, hummus, combine it with Hellmans as a sandwich spread, rub it under the skin of a chicken before roasting, and it's great smeared on toasted baguette slices.



I like to do four bulbs at a time.  You will get about 1/2 cups of mashed roasted garlic and it keeps in the refrigerator well.

Slice the tops off of each bulb.  Place on a piece of heavy duty aluminum foil and drizzle 1 Tbsp. of olive oil over the tops.




Wrap the foil up and around the garlic and place in a small baking dish.  Bake in a 400° F. oven for an hour and 15 minutes.


 
Open the foil pouch and allow to cool to the touch.



 Squeeze the garlic cloves into a mixing bowl then mash with a fork until smooth.  Refrigerate until ready to use.



 The tops of the bulbs that are cut off have alot of good garlic in them that I hate to waste.  I place them in a dish and cover them with olive oil.  The infused oil is great to using in all sorts of dishes.  You can also chop up the garlic and use it as well.




No comments:

Post a Comment