Friday, November 11, 2011

Homemade Celery Salt


It's very hard for me to waste anything.  I made some celery salt last weekend.


I started with a bunch of celery that had a lot of the green leaves on it.


After cleaning all of the stalks, I tore off all of the greenery.  I love all the different shades of the celery leaves; dark greens, light green and yellows.

Then I dried it.  I placed the leaves on a cooling rack and let them sit for several days.  You can dry them in the oven as well but I wasn't in any hurry.

Once the leaves were all dried and shriveled up I crumbled them between my fingers.  You should also notice a really nice celery smell as you are crumbling them up.  They won't turn to powder but will crumble into nice little pieces.  Make sure that any leaves that aren't totally dry get tossed out.
 
Once the leaves were crumbled I measured to see how much I had.  This batch came out to about 1/4 cup.  I mixed the leaves with the same amount of salt. 

I chose this salt.

 I liked the sizes of the granules.  You can also throw your mixture into a small food processor or a coffee grinder that you use for herbs and get the celery tops a little smaller.

Then I tossed it all in a mason jar, ready for use!!

No comments:

Post a Comment