Sunday, January 5, 2014

Artichoke and Feta Tarts with Tomato Salad

This is a recipe from Donna Hay.  It's a nice starter for a small dinner party.  I also think it's suitable for spa food.
 
 
Simply cut a sheet of puff pastry into four 4" squares and score about 1/4" around the edges. 
 
 
Mix the feta and chopped artichoke on each square.  I actually had quite a bit of this mixture left over and it made for a great dip for Lovey.
 
 
While the pastries are baking toss together your salad of peas, tomatoes and mint and dress it with the olive oil and white balsamic vinegar.
 
 
When the tarts come out of the oven top each tart with the salad and serve immediately.
 
My puff pastry didn't puff as much as I thought it should but I'm sure it's because I should have put it back into the refrigerator before putting it into the oven.  It got a little warm while working with it.
 
Bottom line about this recipe is that I did like it.  It was easy to put together.  Had a nice light flavor with the sweetness of the tomatoes & peas are a nice contrast to the cheese and artichoke.  The chiffonade of mint finishes it off nicely..  I think it more appropriate for Spring or summer so I probably won't visit this again until it gets warmer.  All in all a nice starter. 
 
 
Artichoke and Feta Tarts with Tomato Salad
A recipe by Donna Hay
Serves 4
 
 
Ingredients:
1 sheet store-bought puff pastry, thawed
9 ounces marinated Persian feta
4 marinated artichoke hearts
1 egg
3-1/2 ounces mixed cherry tomatoes
1 cup frozen peas
1/4 mint leaves
olive oil & white balsamic vinegar, for drizzling
 
Mise en place:
  •  crumble feta
  •  chop artichokes
  •  lightly beat egg
  •  halve tomatoes
  •  rinse peas and allow to thaw
  •  chiffonade the mint leaves
Method:
Preheat oven to 400° F.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  Cut the puff pastry into four - 4" squares.  Score  a 1/4" border around each square.  Place on the baking sheet and top each square with the feta-artichoke mixture.  Brush the borders of each tart with the lightly beaten egg.  Bake for 12-14 minutes until golden brown.

In a small mixing bowl toss the tomatoes, peas and mint.  Drizzle with enough oil and vinegar to lightly coat.

Top each tart with the salad and serve immediately.


I'm sharing this recipe at I Heart Cooking Clubs.
     

7 comments:

  1. What a great combination of ingredients and flavors--love the salad on top of the artichoke-feta spread. A great starter for sure or even a light lunch. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this recipe pinned to make because I love all the flavors and I think it looks so pretty with all the colors. I have a feeling I will love this one because that melting feta cheese in your pictures is calling my name ;) Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds delicious! Artichokes, peas and mint are very spring-like but it is nice to enjoy those flavours in the middle of winter too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love savory tarts! And these looks delicious!
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your tart looks very appetising. It's easy with store bought pastry, but unfortunately we do not get them here in India.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great combination of ingredients (I adore artichoke hearts), and everything is highly seasonal in my part of the world right now, so I see this turning up at my table very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jamie,

    (I don’t know how to catch your attention but hopefully you could spare me a minute to read this message. I already contacted you through your blog, here is my message.)

    My name is Freddy. Surfing on the net I found your blog and noticed you have a great number of tasty recipes there, that is why I am contacting you. I wonder if you would like join our website www.mytaste.com and receive more visitors to your blog through making your recipes available to a greater number of internet users.

    Mytaste.com has been launched recently and from the first day it has gained popularity among food lovers. Today the site can be found in 45 countries, where we deliver thousands of visitors to food blogs daily. Some Top Food Blogs on our pages receive more than 20 thousands unique visitors a week.

    Recently and to improve the user experience and develop their loyalty we added social features that allow our users to create cookbooks, save recipes and follow other users. This means that when a recipe from your blog is saved, the user will always have the opportunity of visiting your blog again.

    So, if this sounds like a good plan to you, please visit our website & add your blog through the Top Food Blogs section here: www.mytaste.com/add-your-food-blog There you will find all the instructions you need to follow to become a part of our bloggers family.

    Hopefully your food blog will be up there in the top!
    If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact us at info@mytaste.com

    Warm regards,
    Freddy

    ReplyDelete